Thursday 5 March 2009

Update from Jason

Hiya, just an update from me, now that we have Internet access at the University!

We are still waiting for our flat to be painted (supposedly it was a bright green colour before). Anna went to see it yesterday and it sounds as if it will be massive! Of course we are not getting our hopes up that we will be moved in by the weekend and that it will be perfect! We are still trying to get used to the fact that things go very slowly here!

Both of us started work on Monday (I shall let Anna update everybody on her department). I have yet to meet the Director in charge of my department and I felt sorry for the other staff as they have an idea what she was expecting me to do but cannot say officially.

It does seem that most of my time will be taken up helping to improve the network and sorting out the Website and Intranet, hopefully I will be doing some teaching in a subject I am good at, they have already offered me VB Client-Server programming which is not really my skill set! Oh well I may have to learn!

My first impression of Uganda are very good indeed, although for the first few days we were in Mbarara everybody kept giving us so much attention. It seems now that we get far less attention even after a few days, which I hope means that we are recognised!. The country looks stunning and we are hoping to get our first taste of the countryside next weekend and there is a VSO cluster meeting taking place, which will be very good indeed! I think it is just an excuse for a few beers...

We shall update the blog with some more exiting news in a few days!

2 comments:

jon777 said...

Exciting stuff - sounds as if you are settling in anyway! Look forward to hearing about your adventures

Keith Millar said...

Hi Jason, good to hear that everything is going well for you both